|2008-07-28||Post-blasts, Mumbai diamond hub on alert|
Post-blasts, Mumbai diamond hub on alert
Ajit Joshi | TNN | Jul 28, 2008, 07.23 PM IST
MUMBAI: The diamond industry in Mumbai, which is controlled by Gujaratis, is not leaving anything to chance.
Senior functionaries in the industry got together informally on Sunday afternoon and decided to put in extra security measures at Panchratna, Mumbai's diamond trade hub at Opera House, from Monday.
Enhanced security measures will be implemented at the building where nearly 680 registered diamond traders conduct business every day.
Tiffin boxes brought by dabbawalas will be checked by the security before letting them in. "We are aware that some of the bombs in Ahmedabad were planted in tiffin boxes. Therefore , we are not taking any chances," said Naresh Mehta, secretary of the Panchratna Cooperative Society.
Six commandos trained in disaster management will maintain strict vigil at the 24-storey building. Also, as part of the safety measures, the society administration will restrict the parking of two-wheelers in the area from Monday with the help of the police.
According to Mehta, a database of people visiting the building will be maintained, which will include their photographs . "The infrastructure for this has already been put in place," he added.
Following threats in the past, CCTV cameras were installed a few years ago and photo ID was made compulsory for every trader. "That procedure will also be implemented with greater focus," Mehta said.
"We are in constant touch with the Surat diamond industry and taking the necessary steps," pointed out Vasant Mehta, vice-chairman of the Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council.
The 7/11 train blasts had claimed the lives of a number of workers from Panchratna. As a result, the industry would not like to leave any stone unturned in terms of security to ensure that the diamond hub did not suffer further damage.
"We are just being cautious. We don't want to create panic. Yes, we are worried, but then we need to get our act together ," said an official.
Man warns of Ghatkopar blast in prank SMS
The ATS picked up a 27-yearold man from Ulhasnagar for sending an SMS to a Thane girl saying, "We will do a bomb blast in Ghatkopar." Deepak Motiram Gangavani told the police that it was a prank SMS. He was likely to be arrested and handed over to the Ulhasnagar police. In Delhi, the police were grilling a "mentally disturbed' ' woman who sent an SMS to them saying bombs had been planted at Mumbai's Siddhivinayak temple. TNN